Gå till innehåll

Need some help before i buy my first camera.

Lambis

Totaly new in this forum but happy i found it.

I am a Photographer from malmö. I shoot most Beauty and Fashion and my love are the Polaroids. The last times i have more and more ideas to shoot not just photos but some minutes to from my sets like create short films (2-4 min) that tell a storry,

So now i am hier and really i go nuts if i like to Go with a Super 8mm camera or a digital as Canon 5DII

I love DOF and grain is not a issue , i find it erotic in some way the same with Polaroids.

I have take a look a Upsalla film and i think, if i am right a 30 meters development /cleaning saving to a hard disk will cost me ca 500 SEK.

I found to a Beaulieu M3 that looks just great.

I am not sure about the pro and contras i just have the feeling that with film i would get wider dynamic range and the feeling that normaly i need to recreate with digital . Then i am scared to use digital for the lack in the dark shadows and the clipping in highlights.

Anyway i ask u guys what you event. reccoment me.

Regards

Lambis

http://www.apneaimages.com/blog

Länk till kommentar

I have take a look a Upsalla film and i think, if i am right a 30 meters development /cleaning saving to a hard disk will cost me ca 500 SEK.

Only the telecine/scanning is included... The film must first be developed before we can transfer it. You send your super 8 films to Andec in Germany for processing, when they are procesed we can transfer the films.

Länk till kommentar

• 3 veckor senare...

Thank you alot. Thanks to for the info i got trough the phone.

Still I am not sure if it will be a super8mm or a 16mm camera. As my projecty film are very short the costs of film will be not a issue

BUT!!

a issue to develop and transfer will be. To delelop i can do it in Germany BUT to transfer

16mm is a issue in Sweden, if i got it right.

Att least i love to see some film from Uppsala BildTeknik a professional Super 8 tranfer

but not in Small videos in internet.

Do you have a link or anything else so i can download and wach i film in full resolution?

Again thanks for the Help!!

Länk till kommentar

After I have check lite films and info i still struggle with what medium is the way to go.

I fav a Beaulieu Super 8 as its fit in my ideas to create the look i like. Especially that with Upsalla Tech. we have in Sweden Support. Thanks Again.

Then i was looking a lot to the Beaulieu 16mm line but i am not sure if 16mm give me something that a (as example) Panasonic DVX 100 will not.

Then Canon 5dII are to a Dilemma especially for theres Low Light abilities.

As i say still not 100% as the issue BUT if i find a camera that really is in exelent contition

a beaulieu is near in my Heart.

Länk till kommentar

To delelop i can do it in Germany BUT to transfer

16mm is a issue in Sweden, if i got it right.

Sorry, I must have missed this part... No, I don´t think getting a professional telecine for 16mm film in Sweden would be an issue. We, Uppsala Bildteknik, cannot transfer negative 16mm films. But you have several other options.

If you have a professional 16mm production I would recommend something like http://www.stopp.se for the telecine, I am sure they can help you getting your transfer, plain old 16mm and super 16mm.

Länk till kommentar

Finaly i have got a Beaulieu 4008 MKII and i stick with super 8mm as i think the feeling is just right for my ideas.

I am plan as soon as possible to make my first test and i like to shoot on the beach , sunny day afternoon and most i like to come as close as possible to a polaroid feeling as those i shoot http://www.apneaimages.com/blog/wp-content/photos/img010.jpg

So before i go and spent my money to film i loved to hear from you guys what u recomment

in terms of filmstock that comes close to the polaroids. Maybe the solution is film & filters.

About my Beaulieu - I have read the manual & know the funktions of the camera (that btw I love) but as Still photographer i have the issue with Speed & fstops. In Beaulieu is the framerate and the shutter opening angle that do the trick if i get it right and my camera have i think a

Länk till kommentar

So before i go and spent my money...

Shoot a testreel. Shoot the first 10 to 15 seconds with a tripod, on something that does not move. This way you get a good reference regarding the image stability.

Also, if you are planning to use the internal exposure meter (or this might be interesting with a external meter too...), shoot your scenes and write down what F-stops yo used. Shoot the same scenes with some exposure bracketing (underexposure and overexposure). This way you get to check if the internal exposure meter (or your external, or your way of measuring?), is correct.

If your camera is in need of service we have a very talented Beaulieu service guy right here in Sweden, Björn Andersson. You can contact him through bjorn.andersson[a]brevet.nu

He can adjust the exposure meter if it needs to be done, lube the camera, and whatever.

...what u recomment

in terms of filmstock that comes close to the polaroids. Maybe the solution is film & filters.

Well I don´t know about polaroids, but I do know I prefer 100D as the reversal stock instead of 64T. You can see a film exposed on 100D, transferred by me, here:

Negative stocks are not for you, stick with reversal. And check out 100D.

...i have the issue with Speed & fstops. In Beaulieu is the framerate and the shutter opening angle that do the trick if i get it right...

You use the F-stop to adjust the amount of light, not the shutter angle. If you use a external meter you are correct, you need to take into the calculations your framerate and shutter angle though... But if you use your internal meter the camera already calculates this information.

You can find some useful information here: http://www.nanolab.com.au/technical_stuff.htm , check the "Using a hand held meter". That should be the information that you are looking for I guess. :)

Länk till kommentar

Delta i konversationen

Du kan posta nu och bli medlem senare. Om du har ett konto, logga in nu för att posta med ditt konto.

Gäst
Skriv ett svar...

×   Klistras in som rik text.   Återställ formatering

Endast 75 max uttryckssymboler är tillåtna.

×   Din länk har automatiskt bäddats in.   Visa som länk istället

×   Ditt tidigare innehåll har återställts.   Rensa redigerare

×   Du kan inte klistra in bilder direkt. Ladda upp eller sätt in bilder från URL.

• Skapa nytt...